Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Isn't Teresa Heinz Kerry Just Sensational!

I have never been more impressed. I LOVED the speech that Teresa Heinz Kerry gave last night at the convention. I feel so energized by her honesty and integrity that I have to go out and work for the Democratic party in some way. She did speak from the heart, I believe, and in a way that gives me hope that there are people who really understand the issues that I care about in this election. I care that our reputation in the world has been tarnished. I care that women's voices have not been heard. I care that the environment is being trashed - that water is undrinkable and the air is unbreathable. I'm finally hearing that someone cares about the same things that I care about and it has been years since I have heard this message from anyone on Washington - anyone believable.  I know that she is not running for election. But she should. I would vote for her in a heartbeat. 

What an inspiring half hour.

After watching nearly every speech, I am totally jazzed about the possibilities that this election can be won by the Democrats. I believe that the Democrats can take back this country and have it once again move toward the center and be what it was meant to be.

I heard Robert Byrd's parting comments on Larry King last night. Totally freaked me out that GWB thinks he is not accountable to anyone - that he doesn't have to explain anything to anyone because he is the President. That's exactly the reason why he will lose in November. Anyone who believes that he is not accountable to the people will have a rude awakening come election time. The American public cannot be bullied nor fooled twice. People- even people who voted for Bush -  are beginning to wonder exactly what they voted for and with good reason. We may often be too busy working and raising families to give too much attention to politics and what goes on in Washington but when someone so blatently disregards the fact that he is a servant of the people, then PEOPLE PAY ATTENTION.

We do not want a theocracy here. We do not want ANYONE'S religious beliefs to be held above anyone else's. Freedom of religion means that the government is not partial to any religion in the nation - Christian or otherwise. That's what made America great. Everyone's religious beliefs ( or lack thereof) are honored and respected. If we lose the freedom of religion, we have lost everything.

I am, for the first time since the late 60's, excited about the election. I feel, like so many others, that this is really a turning point for our nation.  That we have to decide what kind of nation we really are this time. Are we going to head down the road of isolation and world domination or rejoin the world community to work on our collective problems together. Are we going to be part of the solution or part of the problem? Are we going with work with others or go it alone? So many issues are now world issues  that it is imperative that we join with the world community and be the world leader that we have been in the past -  to set the pace for advancement in issues of ecology, basic health and economic issues. 

This election will show the world (and us) what we are made of. Let's hope we still have the "right stuff."



  

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home